Before Phakchok Rinpoche's visit on the 28th, we just had to try out this recipe - and it is fantastic.
Govinda Olin's apple chutney
1 litre of peeled apples in pieces.
2 tbsp oil or ghee
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
4 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp anis seeds
4-6 fresh chilies, split in half, legthwise
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 dl raisins
3 dl fruit sugar (I'm sure ordinary sugar will do fine)
2 tbsp freshly pressed lemon juice
1. Heat the oil and fry cloves, cinnamon, anis seeds, and chilies for a couple of minutes.
2. Add the apples. Stir.
3. Let it cook on low heat, covered with a lid, for 5 minutes.
4. (If necessary to prevent burning, add a few tbsp of water.)
5. Remove the chilies
6. Add ginger, turmeric, raisins, sugar.
7. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes on low heat, covered with a lid.
8. Remove the cinnamon.
9. Add the lemon juice.
10. Let it cool. Store in refridgerator (or freezer).
For Gomde, multiply all measures with 1000000. :-)
Thanks to Peter